Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The pros and cons of thumb sucking for babies

I have three kids and about 11 nieces and nephews. I will tell you what I have learned about the pros and cons of thumb sucking.

Lets start with the pros.

1. If a child sucks on their thumb or a passe it is easier to break them from the bottle than a child who only suck on the bottle. I say this because I have seen it many times but take my kids for instance. My 7 year old has sucked his thumb since he was in the womb( really I have the ultra sound picture to prove it ) but my 4 year old wouldn't suck on anything but the bottle. When my oldest turned a year we took all his bottles away without a problem but my youngest wouldn't have it. He would scream for hours on end until we gave in.

2. Its a comfort for them other than their bottle. When a baby is upset about anything they want to suck but for baby's who don't suck their thumb it can be a little difficult if your driving in a car and can't reach them.

Now the cons.

1. It is very hard to break a thumb sucker from sucking. My son is seven and he still sucks his thumb. I have known teenagers who suck their thumbs.

2. It can cause some dental problems. Like having too big a gap between their teeth.

This is what I've learned about thumb sucking.

Learn more about this author, baby girl.


See all Coupons & Sales at BabyCenter Store


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: